Baby spinach and bacon bistro salad
A sophisticated French-style salad, ready in no time.
Takes 15 minutes • Serves 4
– 140g/5oz fine green beans
– 4 tbsp olive oil, plus an extra dash
– 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped a good handful of ready-made croûtons
– 200g/8oz mushrooms, sliced
– 1 avocado, halved and sliced
– 250g/9oz baby leaf spinach
FOR THE DRESSING
– 1 small garlic clove, crushed
– 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
– 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
– 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Boil the beans for 3 minutes until just cooked, drain in cold water, then drain again. Meanwhile,
heat the oil in a large frying pan, then sizzle the bacon until crisp. Scoop the bacon into a large salad bowl.
Toss the croûtons in the bacon juices, then tip them in with the bacon. Tip a splash more oil into the pan, very briefly fry the mushrooms just to rid them of their rawness, then turn off the heat. When the mushrooms have cooled slightly, tip them into the salad bowl along with the beans and avocado.
Mix the dressing ingredients together with one tablespoon of water and season with salt and pepper.Moments before serving, add the spinach leaves and dressing, then toss really well so everything is coated.
Food: Baby spinach and bacon bistro salad
• Per serving 395 kcalories, protein 10g, carbohydrate 13g, fat 34g, saturated fat 6g, fibre 4g, sugar 3g, salt 1.51g