Mackerel is such great value and so good for you. Pair it with flavoursome chickpeas for a well-balanced, scrumptious meal.
Takes 25 minutes • Serves 4.
– 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling.
– 1 bunch of spring onions, sliced.
– 1 large garlic clove, crushed.
– zest of 1 lemon and squeeze of juice.
– 2 × 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
– 150ml/¼ pint vegetable stock.
– 85g/3oz sundried tomatoes in oil, halved.
– 4 mackerel fillets, skin on.
– 20g pack fresh basil, leaves torn.
Step 1:Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large, shallow pan. Add the spring onions, garlic and lemon zest, then cook for 2 minutes until the onions are tender but still very green. Add the chickpeas, then stir until well coated in the onion mixture. Lightly crush with a potato masher, then add the stock and tomatoes. Simmer for 3–4 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed, then set aside to cool slightly.
Step 2:Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Season the mackerel and fry for 3 minutes each side, starting on the skin side.
Step 3:Add the basil and a squeeze of lemon juice to the chickpeas, then season to taste. To serve, spoon the warm chickpeas on to serving plates, drizzle with a little extra olive oil and top with the mackerel fillets.