Bean Sprout Salad/Sukju Namul
Bean sprouts are the white, crunchy shoots of the mung bean that are often used in Korean soups and stir-fries.
– 3 c. water; 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
– 3 c. fresh bean sprouts*
– 2 tsp. vinegar; 1 tsp. sesame oil
– 1 tsp. sugar; 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1/8 tsp. black pepper; 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
– 2 green onions, finely chopped; 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds.
*Soybean sprouts, which have a stronger taste and smell than the sprouts from the mung bean, can be used in this recipe if they are cooked a minute or two longer.
In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Add bean sprouts, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
Pour bean sprouts into a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well and place in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir to dissolve sugar.
Pour dressing over bean sprouts, toss, and serve.
Food: Bean Sprout Salad/Sukju Namul