To make consommé, you must first make a basic beef broth with tough, flavorful cuts such as the shank. Serve the shank with a little tomato sauce or horseradish-flavored mayonnaise. You can also use the broth from the pot-au-feu.
– 3 pounds beef shank, cut into 1-inch thick rounds.
– 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into sections.
– 1 large onion, peeled, quartered.
– Bouquet garni.
– 3 quarts cold water or more as needed to cover.
– 2 pounds lean beef, such as round, trimmed of fat, ground.
– 3 egg whites.
– 3 egg shells.
– 5 sprigs fresh tarragon.
– 1 onion, peeled, chopped.
– 1 carrot, chopped.
Step 1:To prepare basic beef broth, put the beef shank, carrots, onion, and bouquet garni in a pot with enough water to cover and simmer gently for 6 hours. Strain and let cool.
Step 2:To prepare the consommé, blend the ground meat with the egg whites, shells, tarragon, onion, and carrots in a food processor and pour into the cool broth. Stir with a whisk to combine all the ingredients. Bring to a gentle simmer in a small pot. Simmer until the liquid is clear and the egg has coagulated into a solid mass on the surface, called a “raft.” Lift the raft out of the liquid and carefully discard. Strain the consommé through a fine-mesh strainer. Keeps for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.