If you don’t like anchovies, leave them out.
– 3 slices French coarse country bread or equivalent from a baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes.
– 2 bell peppers, preferably 1 red and 1 yellow, charred, peeled, and seeded.
– 2 poblano chiles, charred, peeled, and seeded.
– 24 anchovy fillets, or to taste.
– 4 tomatoes.
– Leaves from 1 bunch basil.
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil.
– 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or aged balsamic vinegar, or 6 tablespoons inexpensive balsamic vinegar boiled down to 3 tablespoons.
– Meat from 1 roast chicken, pulled off in strips and skin removed.
Step 1:Preheat the oven to 300˚F. Spread the bread cubes on a sheet pan and toast for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and crunchy. Let cool.
Step 2:Cut the bell peppers and poblano chiles into ¾-inch-wide strips and then cut the strips crosswise into ¾-inch dice. Put into a bowl large enough to hold the salad. Soak the anchovies in enough water to cover for 5 minutes to remove some of their saltiness, drain well, pat dry, and add to the peppers and chiles.
Step 3:Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for about 30 seconds, rinse them immediately with cold water, and pull away the skin in strips with a paring knife. Cut out the stem end, and cut each tomato into 6 wedges. Push the seeds out of each wedge with a fingertip. Add the tomatoes to the peppersand other ingredients.
Step 4:Just before serving, scatter the basil leaves and bread cubes over the salad. Pour over the oil and vinegar, add the chicken, and toss. Season with salt and pepper, keeping in mind that the anchovies are salty.