Chicken Hunter’s Style/ Pollo alla Cacciatore
Substituting eggplant for chicken turns this into a delicious vegetarian entr e. Slice 2 medium eggplants lengthwise and lightly coat with olive oil. Place cut-side down on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven at 400 until tender and easy to pierce with a fork. Remove, cut into bite-sized chunks, and cover with sauce. Pollo alla cacciatore melanzane alla cacciatore!
– 1 2½- to 3-lb. chicken, cut into serving pieces
– ¼ c. butter; ½ tsp. basil
– 2 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
– 1 c. finely chopped onion
– ½ green pepper, cleaned out and chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 tsp. salt; ½ tsp. pepper
– 1 c. stewed tomatoes, undrained
– ½ c. tomato juice, canned
– Chicken broth, or water
– Sliced mushrooms for garnish.
In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter and oil over medium heat until pieces are evenly brown on all sides.
Add onion, green pepper, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir. Cook until onion is soft but not brown (about 5 minutes).
Add undrained tomatoes and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add tomato juice, chicken broth, or water and simmer 10 minutes.
Remove chicken to serving dish and spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with mushroom slices, if desired.
Food: Chicken Hunter’s Style/ Pollo alla Cacciatore