These are very similar to the chicken “yakitori” that are so popular in Japanese restaurants.
– ½ cup Japanese soy sauce.
– 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger.
– 1 large clove garlic, peeled, minced, crushed to a paste.
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
– ¼ cup sake or white wine (optional).
– 2 tablespoons sugar.
– 6 tablespoons mirin.
– 3 boneless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into ¾-inch dice.
Step 1:Boil all the ingredients, except the chicken, until reduced to ⅓ cup and lightly syrupy. Let cool. Marinate the chicken in the syrupy mixture for 4 hours.
Step 2:Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes, then thread with the chicken pieces.
Step 3:Grill the chicken skewers for about 3 minutes over high heat while basting with the boiled-down marinade. Serve immediately.