Cool and slightly sweet citrus fruit contrasts well with the briny flavor of cooked shellfish.
– 2 pounds cooked shrimp (out of the shell), crab, or lobster meat or scallops.
– 4 navel oranges.
– 2 grapefruits.
– 2 avocados, preferably Hass.
– 2 Belgian endives.
– 2 bell peppers, preferably 1 yellow and 1 red, charred, peeled, and seeded and then cut lengthwise into ¼ inch-wide strips.
– ¼ cup fresh lime juice.
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil.
– 4 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled.
– 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced.
– 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley.
Step 1:Cut the shellfish in bite-size pieces. Grate the zest of ½ orange and set aside. Section the oranges and grapefruits (see below).
Step 2:No more than 1 hour before serving, halve, pit, and peel the avocados and cut each avocado into 12 wedges. Trim the base of each endive, and then, starting from the bottom, cut half of the head into ½-inch-wide slices. Leave the top half of the leaves whole.
Step 3:In a large bowl, combine citrus fruits, avocados, endive slices and leaves, pepper strips, lime juice, oil, bacon, chile, parsley, and reserved zest. Toss gently, reaching to the bottom of the bowl with your hands or a pair ofspoons and gently folding the ingredients over onto themselves. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 4:Divide the citrus mixture among chilled plates, leaving the excess sauce behind in the bowl. Add the shellfish to the sauce that remains in the bottom of the bowl and toss gently. Arrange the shellfish on top of the citrus mixture.