Clear Beef Broth/Klare Fleischbrühe
Many families start Sunday dinner with this delicious beef broth.The meat from the broth can be sliced and served with mustard sauce or bottled horseradish sauce and boiled potatoes garnished with parsley.
– 2 tbsp. vegetable oil; 10 c. water
– 1½ lb. beef chuck, cut into 1½-in.chunks
– ½ small carrot, finely chopped tops of 2 stalks celery, finelychopped
– 1 medium onion, peeled andchopped
– ½ lb. beef bones (optional)
– 1 bay leaf; 1 to 2 tsp. salt
– ¼ tsp. pepper; ½ tsp. nutmeg
– 1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley orchives.
Heat oil in a large kettle. Cook beef chunks in oil over medium heat until brown on all sides.
Add water and heat to boiling. Skim foam from water. Stir in carrot, celery tops, onion, beef bones (if desired), bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 3 hours. (Do not boil.)
Remove meat and bones from broth. Save the meat. Carefully pour broth through sieve with another large pan underneath to catch liquid. Skim fat from broth.
Use broth and beef right away or place beef and broth in separate containers, cover, and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
Serve broth hot, sprinkled with parsley or chives, and nutmeg. Also delicious served with potato dumplings.
Food: Clear Beef Broth/Klare Fleischbrühe