When the weather’s good, keep cooking to a minimum. Combine crisp cooked fish with a salad and a dollop of rich garlicky mayonnaise.
– Takes 20 minutes • Serves 4.
– about 12 baby courgettes.
– olive oil, to coat and fry.
– 4 thick fillets sustainable white fish, skin on.
– juice of ½ lemon.
– 1 bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked.
– 100g bag watercress (or use rocket).
– FOR THE HERBED AIOLI.
– 200ml/7fl oz good-quality olive-oil mayonnaise.
– 1 fat garlic clove, crushed.
– a handful of fresh mixed soft herbs (such as chives, parsley, mint and dill), chopped, plus extra.
– picked leaves, to scatter.
– lemon juice, to taste.
Step 1:Heat a griddle pan. Rub the courgettes with a teaspoon of oil, season, then griddle until just soft. Set aside while you make the aïoli. Mix the mayonnaise, garlic and chopped herbs together, then season with the lemon juice to taste.
Step 2:Season the fish. Heat a non-stick frying pan until very hot, add a teaspoon of oil, then fry the fish, skin-side down, for 3 minutes until crisp. Turn and fry the fish for just 30 seconds–1 minute more until it is cooked all the way through.
Step 3:Whisk a tablespoon of oil with the juice of half a lemon and season. Gently toss the courgettes, mint and watercress or rocket into the dressing. Pile on to plates, top with the fish plus a dollop of aioli, then scatter with herbs.