Creamy ham and mushroom pasta bake
Use up your leftovers in this comforting family recipe. To make it vegetarian, stir wilted
spinach and crumbled blue cheese through instead of ham.
Takes 30 minutes • Serves 5
– 500g bag farfalle or other pasta shape
– 50g/2oz butter, plus 1 tsp
– 200g/8oz small mushrooms, halved
– a bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
– 50g/2oz plain flour
– 500ml/18fl oz milk
– 140g/5oz thickly cut ham, chopped
– 140g/5oz mature Cheddar, grated
Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, then drain. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
Melt the teaspoon of butter in a large pan. Fry the mushrooms for a couple of minutes, then scoop out and set aside. Use some kitchen paper to wipe out the pan.
Melt the remaining butter in the pan, then add most of the onions and soften for 1 minute. Stir in the flour for another minute, then gradually stir in the milk. Increase the heat and bubble the sauce, stirring for a few minutes to thicken. Turn off the heat, stir in the ham and most of the cheese, and season.
Tip the pasta and mushrooms into an ovenproof dish, then pour over the sauce and mix well. Scatter over the remaining cheese and spring onions, then bake for 10 minutes.
Food:Creamy ham and mushroom pasta bake
• Per serving 678 kcalories, protein 31g, carbohydrate 89g, fat 25g, saturated fat 14g, fibre 4g, sugar 8g, salt 1.58g