Crispy Tortillas with Beef/Tostadas con Carne
For a variation of this recipe, eliminate the beef or replace it with sliced pork, chicken, shrimp, or cooked vegetables.
– ½ c. vegetable oil; 12 7-inch corn tortillas
– 1 lb. ground beef; ½ c. chopped onion
– 1 10-oz. can green chiles and tomatoes
– ½ tsp. garlic salt; ½ tsp. oregano
– ½ tsp. ground cumin; ¼ tsp. chili powder
– ¼ tsp. basil
– 1 15-oz. can (about 2 c.) refried beans or 2 c. homemade refried
– 2 c. shredded lettuce; 2 tomatoes, chopped or sliced
– 1 c. grated cheddar cheese; taco sauce or salsa cruda.
Heat oil in a frying pan. Using tongs, submerge tortillas, one or two at a time, in hot oil and fry until each is crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
Cook beef and onion in a skillet until meat is brown.
Drain off excess fat from meat and onions. Stir in the can of chiles and tomatoes, garlic salt, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and basil.
Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Heat refried beans.
Spread each tortilla with warm beans and then cover beans with 2 heaping tbsp. of meat mixture.
Top with lettuce, tomato, and cheese. Pour on taco sauce or salsa cruda to taste.
Food: Crispy Tortillas with Beef/Tostadas con Carne