Cumin crusted sea scallops
This is yet another very easy-to-make main course. Its unique flavor comes from the use of aromatic spices like cumin and star anise. Serve it with a Rosemary Lemon Rice for a simple yet satisfying weekday meal.
– 3 tablespoons Asian chili powder or ground cayenne pepper
– 3 tablespoons toasted cumin seeds, ground
– 1 teaspoon salt; 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
– 12 sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
– ¼ cup (65 ml) olive oil; 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
– 2 cardamom pods; 1 star anise pod
Combine the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium shallow bowl. Dredge one side of each scallop in the spice mixture.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan over high heat. Add the mustard seeds, cardamom, and star anise, cook for about 30 seconds. Place the scallops in the heated pan, spice side down, and cook for 20 seconds. Reduce the heat to low, turn the scallops and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
Remove from the pan and arrange the scallops on a serving platter. Drizzle the spice oil drippings from the pan over the scallops and serve.
Food: Cumin Crusted Sea Scallops