Making a salad is like playing the guitar—almost anyone can do it, but very few people can do it really well. A friend of mine introduced me to the idea of crispy sweet potatoes as a salad topping and those, along with really fresh veggies and this honey dressing, make for a sweet and crunchy salad.
– ½ cup (120 ml) water.
– 2 tsp (10 g) sugar.
– ¼ cup (28 g) cashews.
– ¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil.
– ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice.
– 1 tsp (7 ml) honey.
– 2 cups (475 ml) canola oil.
– ½ cup (90 g) thin strips sweet potato.
– 2 cups (40 g) mixed salad greens.
– ¼ cup (40 g) grape tomatoes, halved.
– 5 slices English cucumber (the long seedless kind).
– Pinch of salt.
– Pinch of cracked black pepper.
Step 2: To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, lemon juice and honey in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, until the honey dissolves into the oil and lemon juice. Remove from the heat.
Step 3: Heat the canola oil in a medium-size frying pan over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add the sweet potato strips and fry until crispy and light brown, which should take 2 minutes, depending on how thin you got them. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Step 4: In a medium bowl, combine the greens, tomatoes, cucumber, candied cashews, salt, pepper and salad dressing. Mix the salad really well so all the good stuff will be in every bite. Heap on a plate and put the fried sweet potatoes on top. Enjoy!