Fan choy – steamed char siew and egg rice
This is a savoury dish that is slightly sweeter than lor mai kai, as the char siew sauce is the main seasoning ingredient. The combination of fragrant char siew, seasoned rice and hardboiled egg makes this a filling dish. Like the lor mai kai, a serving of fan choy is
usually shared among two to four persons.
Makes about 16 portions
– Jasmine rice 800 g (13/4 lb), steamed with 800 ml (27 fl oz) water
– Char siew 300 g (101/2 oz)
– Hardboiled eggs 3, peeled
– Salt 12 g (1/3 oz)
– Chicken powder 12 g (1/3 oz)
– Sugar 20 g (2/3 oz)
– Oyster sauce 50 ml (12/3 fl oz)
– Seafood (hoisin) sauce 50 ml (12/3 fl oz)
– Char siew sauce 50 ml (12/3 fl oz)
– Dark soy sauce 2 Tbsp
– Sesame oil 10 ml (1/3 fl oz)
– Pepper a dash
– Boiling water 100 ml (31/3 fl oz)
Mix all seasoning ingredients together and add to steamed rice. Set aside.
Cut char siew into slices and cut the eggs into wedges.
Arrange char siew slices and egg wedges at the bottom of each aluminium foil case. Top with rice until each case is full.
Steam for 7 minutes over medium heat.
Food: Fan choy