Fragrant lobster curry
This simple dish boasts fragrant ginger, chili and cilantro. It’s fantastic served over Basmati Rice with Dry-Roasted Spices
– 4 fresh medium-size lobsters, about 2 lbs (1 kg)
– 1 cup (250 ml) fish stock or water
– ¾ cup (185 ml) oil
– 1½ teaspoons black mustard seeds
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1-in (2.5-cm) piece peeled and minced fresh ginger
– 1 large red onion, sliced
– ½ teaspoon Asian chili powder or ground cayenne pepper
– 1 teaspoon turmeric
– 2 teaspoons salt, more as needed
– 1 large tomato (about ½ lb/250 g), chopped
– One 14-oz (400-ml) can unsweetened coconut milk
– 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), for garnish.
To prepare lobsters, plunge the tip of a large sharp knife straight down behind the eyes. Separate tails from bodies. Cut off fanned tail shells. Pull out the alimentary canal. Slice tails through lengthwise (rst snip through the under-shell with scissors). Clean and wash the lobsters thoroughly.
Bring the sh stock to a boil in a large saucepan, add lobster bodies and tails and boil for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside. Strain and retain the stock for the sauce. Pull the meat from the shells, cut it into small chunks and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and sauté until they begin to pop. Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 5 seconds. Quickly add the onion and sauté until a light golden color, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Asian chili powder, turmeric and salt and cook for 30 seconds to allow the ‑avors to intensify.
Add the chopped tomato and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and the remaining stock; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Add the lobster meat and cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add more salt, to taste. Garnish with the fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Food: Fragrant Lobster Curry