Fresh tomato soup with cilantro cream
This is simple, hearty tomato soup made easy for the everyday cook. Serve hot with bread or rolls on a monsoon evening!
– 4 teaspoons oil, 1 small yellow onion, diced
– 1 bay leaf, 6 ripe medium tomatoes (about 2 lbs/1 kg), peeled and diced
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 3 cups (750 ml) heavy cream
– Salt, to taste, 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black, pepper
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
– 4 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro), for garnish.
– ½ cup (125 ml) heavy cream
– 1 teaspoon nely-chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
– Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste.
To make the Cilantro Cream, whip the heavy cream, fresh coriander, salt and pepper until sti peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the soup: Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and bay leaf, and sauté until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until the soup thickens, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
In a blender, purée the soup until smooth. Return to the pan and stir in the heavy cream, salt, pepper and chopped fresh coriander. Reheat gently.
Ladle into individual bowls and serve hot with 1 tablespoon of Cilantro Cream in each bowl. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Food: Fresh tomato soup with cilantro cream