Going back to the basics, a sloppy joe is a quick-and-easy way to make a tasty sandwich. I switched the burger meat out for ground turkey, used a wheat roll and stayed as far away from canned tomato sauce as is humanly possible. I do add Parmesan cheese, which isn’t too bad as far as cheeses go!
– 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil.
– 8 oz (230 g) ground turkey.
– 1 cup (161 g) chopped tomatoes (if canned, buy no salt added).
– ½ white onion, chopped.
– ½ jalapeño pepper, diced.
– Pinch of salt.
– 1 tsp (2 g) black pepper.
– 1 tsp (5 g) grated Parmesan cheese.
– 1 bakery-fresh wheat roll.
Step 2: Toast the roll in a toaster oven (or in the oven at 350°F [177°C] if you have to) until it’s the way you like it. Put the roll on a plate and pile the meat and sauce high on the roll.