Hearty Autumn Hot Pot
Use this dish to celebrate the fall harvest season.
– 4 tbsp. margarine or butter; 2 medium onions, sliced
– 4 medium carrots, sliced; 2 parsnips, cut into chunks
– 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets; 4 zucchini, sliced
– 6 tomatoes, skinned and coarsely chopped
– ¼ c. flour; ¼ c. milk
– ¼ c. vegetable stock; ½ tsp. thyme
– ½ tsp. oregano; 1 tsp. salt
– ½ tsp. black pepper.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Melt 4 tbsp. margarine or butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions, carrots, and parsnips and sauté lightly for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Add the remaining vegetables.
Blend the flour with the milk and add to the vegetables with the vegetable stock, herbs, and salt and pepper. Mix well. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the scones. Place the whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in 2 tbsp. butter or margarine to flour until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in half the cheese, the dry mustard, and enough milk to make a soft dough.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll to æ-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch circles (use a cookie cutter or the rim of a small drinking glass).
Food: Hearty Autumn Hot Pot