I had this fantastic variation of a spicy kofte, or kofte kebab, in the spring in Istanbul. I ate them in view of the mighty Bosphorus. The rich, juicy meat was very well spiced with cumin and paprika, and studded throughout with bright green pistachios. When you cut into the meat, the nuts glistened like shining jewels. The kebabs here are smaller than the traditional long kofte kebab, so you may want to use short bamboo skewers. Or simply make small meatballs if you prefer, flattening them slightly once they are in the pan.
– 2 garlic cloves, halved.
– a little olive oil.
– 1 onion, finely chopped.
– 2 tsp ground cumin.
– 2 tsp paprika.
– 1 tsp cayenne pepper.
– 1lb (450g) ground lamb.
– handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped.
– handful of fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped.
– ½ cup unsalted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped.
– sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
– For the salad.
– 1 cup dried cannellini beans.
– 2 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole.
– ½ bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked.
– and chopped (stalks reserved).
– 3 tbsp red wine vinegar.
– 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
– 1 tsp ground cumin.
– 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into ½in (1cm) dice.
Step 2: To make the kebabs, soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes so they do not burn. Crush the garlic with a little salt to make a paste. Heat a little oil in a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion for 4 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and cayenne, and cook for a couple of minutes longer, or until fragrant. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl, and let cool for 5 minutes. Add the lamb, parsley, cilantro, and pistachios. Season well. Mold the lamb mixture onto one end of the skewer, making a cylinder of meat around roughly half its length. Heat a little oil in a large heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the kofte kebabs in batches until golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels. Serve with the salad and lots of fresh crusty bread.
Note : Kofte kebab Lamb kebabs with white bean and tomato salad