Dinner guests won’t be able to resist this dish. If you’re more likely to want two chops each, double the marinade ingredients too.
– Takes 20 minutes • Serves 4.
– 4 (or 8) lamb chops, cutlets or leg steaks, trimmed.
– 2 tsp smoked paprika.
– 1 red onion, finely chopped.
– 3 tbsp red wine vinegar.
– 3 tbsp olive oil.
– 200g/8oz couscous.
– 5 tbsp pine nuts, toasted.
– 8 dates, stoned and finely chopped.
– zest and juice of 2 lemons.
– 20g pack each fresh mint and flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped.
Step 1:Place the lamb in a bowl. Sprinkle over the paprika, half the onion, a tablespoon of the vinegar and half a tablespoon of oil. Season, then set aside.
Step 2:To make the couscous, boil the kettle and tip the couscous into a heatproof bowl. Stir in the pine nuts, dates, lemon zest and half the juice. Pour over 140ml/4½fl oz boiled water, cover, then leave to stand for 10 minutes.
Step 3:Heat the grill to high. Lift the lamb out of its marinade, grill for 2–3 minutes on each side, then rest, wrapped in foil, for 10 minutes.
Step 4:Stir half the chopped herbs and some seasoning into the couscous, then add the remaining lemon juice. Mix together the remaining herbs, red onion, vinegar, oil and seasoning to make a herby vinaigrette. Serve the lamb and couscous with the vinaigrette.