Lentil, fava bean, and feta salad
– ½ cup (85g) frozen shelled fava beans.
– 1 x 14oz (400g) can of green or brown lentils, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups drained cooked lentils.
– 1 bunch of scallions, fnely chopped.
– 1 fresh green chile, fnely chopped.
– 6oz (175g) feta cheese,cut into cubes.
– handful of fresh ﬂat-leaf parsley, fnely chopped.
– sea salt and freshly ground.
– black pepper.
For the dressing
– 3 tbsp olive oil.
– 1 tbsp white wine vinegar.
– 1 x 1in (2.5cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated.
– pinch of sugar (optional).
Step 1:Cover the fava beans with boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes.
Step 2:Put the lentils in a serving bowl and season with a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Stir in the drained fava beans, scallions, and chile.
Step 3:To make the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, and ginger in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar (if using), and whisk until well blended. Drizzle over the salad and let stand for 10 minutes, to allow the ﬂavors to develop.
Step 4:When ready to serve, stir in the feta and parsley.
Note : Canned lentils are an excellent pantry standby that will keep up to 1 year. They tend to be salty, so be sure to rinse them with cold water.