Mango and roasted red pepper chutney
Mangoes are only available fresh when in season, but frozen mango slices also work well for this recipe. The sweetness and subtle pungency of this accompaniment is great with meat and poultry dishes like Lemon Pepper Chicken with Fresh Mint.
– 1 red bell pepper, roasted
– 2 large mangoes (about 2 lbs/1kg), peeled, pitted and diced
– ½ cup (125 ml) white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
– ¼ cup (65 ml) honey, ¼ cup (35 g) dried cherries
– Salt, to taste
– 2 tablespoons oil, 1 medium onion, chopped
– 1-in (2.5-cm) piece peeled and minced fresh ginger
– 3 cloves garlic, minced, 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon Asian chili powder or ground cayenne pepper.
Remove the charred skin from the roasted bell pepper, then deseed and dice it. Set aside.
Toss together the mangoes, balsamic vinegar, honey, cherries and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
Sauté the onion with the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until cooked, 5–7 minutes.
Add the ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander and chili powder. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring for about 1 minute.
Stir in the mango mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally until the mangoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. (Frozen mango pieces will become tender quicker.) Add the diced bell pepper and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a serving bowl and let cool. Chill and serve cold.
Food: Mango and roasted red pepper chutney