Marinated Petuna Ocean Trout with bonito mayonnaise
Prep time 20 mins
Cooking time: 2 mins
– 110 ready to cook pappadums Olive oil, for brushing.
– 200 gm Petuna Ocean Trout fi llet (a mixof shoulder and belly meat is nice), skin off and pin-bones removed 2 sprigs lemon thyme, leaves picked.
– ¹⁄³ bunch chives, fi nely chopped.
– 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil.
– 1 tsp rice wine vinegar Sea salt fl akes and cracked white pepper, to taste.
– 1 tbsp fi nely grated horseradish.
– 1 lemon (preferably Meyer), frozen.
– 1 lemon leaf Bonito mayonnaise.
– 300 ml grapeseed oil.
– 20 gm bonito fl akes.
– 4 egg yolks.
– A squeeze lemon juice, to taste.
– 15 ml rice wine vinegar.
Step 1:Place a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Space the pappadums evenly on top, brush the tops very lightly with oil, sprinkle with salt and top with another layer of paper towel. Cook in the microwave until pappadums form into cups and are crisp and lightly golden.
Step 2:Cut ocean trout fillet into 5mm-8mm dice and place in a cold bowl. Add lemon thyme leaves, chives, extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar and season with sea salt and white pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for 1-1½ hours.
Step 3:Meanwhile, for bonito mayonnaise, warm oil to 70C in a saucepan over low heat. Add bonito flakes, cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool and infuse, then strain and refrigerate to chill. Whisk together yolks, lemon juice, vinegar and salt to taste in a bowl. Whisking continuously, add the bonito-infused oil in a thin steady stream and whisk until thick and all oil is incorporated. Refrigerate until required.
Step 4:To serve, spoon ocean trout mix into pappadum cups, pipe dollops of bonito mayonnaise on top, grate horseradish and frozen lemon over, and finish with a few razorfine strips of lemon leaf.