Make this sort of treasure chest brimming with an assortment of tasty tomatoes—green, yellow, red, quartered plum tomatoes, long slices of beefsteaks, tomato wedges, and even whole cherry tomatoes.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Baking time: overnight
– 1 small loaf sliced white bread, crusts removed (about 2lb/700g).
– 8–9 very ripe tomatoes, about.
– 1½lb (675g), cored and seeded (reserve the seeds and jellylike core).
– 2 roasted tomatoes, cut into quarters.
– 3 sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, chopped.
– ¾ cup tomato juice.
– 5 tbsp olive oil grated zest (optional) and juice.
– of ½ lime.
– large dash Maggi Liquid.
– large dash soy sauce.
– large dash Worcestershire sauce.
– 2 tbsp homemade or goodquality ketchup.
– 1 fresh red bird’s-eye hot chile pepper, finely chopped.
– 4 tbsp finely chopped cilantro.
– 1 tbsp finely chopped shallot.
– 8oz (200g) peeled and deveined cooked prawns.
– sea salt and freshly ground.
– black pepper.
– freshly sliced ripe avocado.
Step 1:Set 2 whole bread slices aside, and cut the rest in half. Line a 2-quart (1.5-liter) glass or ceramic bowl with the bread halves, overlapping each slice a little bit.
Step 2:Cut the fresh tomatoes into random shapes—peel some, leave others unpeeled, and keep small ones whole. Set aside with the roasted and sun-dried tomatoes.
Step 3:Blend or process the reserved seeds and “jelly” to a purée, and put in a small pitcher or glass measuring cup. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the prawns and avocado. Do this little by little, tasting as you go. The flavor should be strong but not overpowering. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 4:Mix the prepared tomatoes and prawns together, and use to fill the bread bowl—the filling should come three-quarters of the way up the sides. Pour in half of the spicy juice mixture until the tomatoes are covered. Use the reserved 2 whole slices of bread to cover the top. Carefully pour in the remaining juice mixture, place a saucer directly on top of the bread, weigh down with cans of food, and chill overnight.
Step 5:To serve, turn the bowl upside down onto a large plate. Carefully lift the bowl so that the pudding breaks open and people can help themselves. Serve with the avocado slices.