Mixed rainbow vegetables with kadhai paneer
In a traditional preparation of kadhai paneer, the masala and the spices are ground into a wet paste. However, in this recipe, I call for a stir-fried variety of the same spices that go into the making of the traditional kadhai paneer. Adding the various bell peppers makes the dish a visual treat. This is also one of those recipes that requires minimal prep time and yet becomes a delight on the table.
– 3 tablespoons oil; 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
– 2 large cloves garlic, minced; 2 small onions, diced
– 1 tablespoon ground coriander; 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– ½ teaspoon ground fennel seeds; ½ teaspoon ground cardamom seeds
– ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
– Salt, to taste; 4 small tomatoes, diced
– 2 small green bell peppers, deseeded and diced
– 2 small red bell peppers, deseeded and diced
– 2 small yellow bell peppers, deseeded and diced 6 oz (170 g) paneer cheese, diced
– 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
– 4 green onions (scallions), chopped
– Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick wok or skillet over medium-high heat, and then add the ginger and garlic and brie‑y cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the onions and cook, stirring until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the coriander, cumin, fennel, cardamom, red pepper ‑akes and salt, and stir for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bell peppers, cover, and continue to cook, stirring constantly until the dish is saucy, about 5 minutes.
Add the paneer, fresh coriander and green onions, and increase to medium-high heat. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with black pepper.
Food: Mixed Rainbow Vegetables With Kadhai Paneer