Mixed Vegetables with Noodles/Chap Ch’ae
This popular dish can also be prepared with thinly sliced beef, pork, or firm tofu.
– 4 tbsp. soy sauce; 2 tsp. sugar
– ½ tsp. finely chopped garlic
– 4 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
– 4 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces
– 6 tbsp. vegetable oil
– 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, preferably shiitake, sliced
– 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
– 3 to 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thin 2-inch strips
– 1 c. fresh or canned bean sprouts
– ½ c. cleaned and chopped fresh spinach; 5 oz. cellophane noodles
– 5 tsp. sesame oil; egg pancake.
In a medium bowl, combine 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. sugar, garlic, 2 tsp. sesame seeds, and chicken. Set aside.
In a large frying pan or wok, heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil over high heat for 1 minute. Add chicken and fry, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until white and tender. Place chicken in large covered bowl.
Wash and dry pan. In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil over high heat for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute, or until soft. Add to chicken. Repeat with remaining vegetables, cooking each one separately. You won’t need to wash the pan between vegetables.
Cook and drain noodles according to recipe on page 35. Cut noodles into 3-inch lengths. Add to chicken.
Add 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. sugar, 2 tsp. sesame seeds, and 5 tsp. sesame oil to chicken mixture and mix thoroughly. Serve warm, garnished with egg pancake.
Food: Mixed Vegetables with Noodles/Chap Ch’ae