Pan-roasted onion chicken
Very quick and easy to make, this chicken preparation can easily be the “most valuable player” on your weekday dinner table. You can substitute chicken breasts with a whole chicken, place it right on the table, and have family members carve their favorite pieces. Serve it with a side of Baby Beets and Carrots with Curry Leaves.
– 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
– 1 large onion, diced, 1 teaspoon garam masala.
– 2 lbs (1 kg) chicken, skinned and cut into 1-in (2.5-cm) pieces.
– 10 fresh curry leaves, 2-in (5-cm) cinnamon stick.
– 2 cardamom pods,1 tablespoon ground coriander.
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin, Salt, to taste.
– 1 cup (125 g) thinly-sliced and crisply-fried onions, for garnish.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds, diced onion and garam masala, and cook until the onion is brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken, curry leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander, cumin and salt. Increase the heat and pan-roast the ingredients until brown, about 5 minutes, turning constantly.
Reduce the heat to mediumlow and simmer covered until the chicken is tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add water if needed. Serve hot, garnished with the fried onions.
Food: Pan-Roasted Onion Chicken