Using tea bags to poach fruit saves you having to buy lots of spices or open a bottle of wine.
SERVES 4 – 25 minutes
– 50g/2oz golden caster sugar.
– 1 tbsp clear honey.
– 1 tbsp redcurrant or cranberry jelly.
– 2 spiced-fruit tea bags.
– 4 firm pears, peeled, halved and core scooped out with a spoon.
– handful fresh cranberries.
– natural yogurt or sweetened crème fraîche with a little orange juice or zest, to serve.
Step 1:Put the sugar, honey, jelly and tea bags into a big pan with 600ml/1 pint water and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the pear halves, then cover and simmer for 12–15 minutes until the pears are just tender – poke them with a skewer or the tip of a knife to check.
Step 2:Lift out the pears, then turn up the heat, throw in the cranberries and boil for a few minutes until syrupy. Discard the tea bags. Serve the pears with the warm syrup poured over and a spoonful of crème fraîche or yogurt.
Note : PER SERVING 131 kcals, protein 1g, carbs 34g, fat none, sat fat none, fibre 4g, sugar 34g, salt 0.02g