A variant of deep-fried prawn dumplings, these snacks are shaped to resemble the interesting shape of a pomegranate.
Spring roll wrappers 50
– Flour mixture 2 tsp plain (all-purpose)
– flour + 2 tsp water
– Seaweed strips for wrapping
– Cooking oil for deep-frying
– Salt 3 g (1/10 oz)
– Chicken powder 3 g (1/10 oz)
– Sugar 5 g (1/6 oz)
– Ground white pepper a dash
– Sesame oil a dash
– Prawns (shrimp) 350 g (121/2 oz)
– Squid paste 150 g (51/3 oz)
– Potato starch 10 g (1/3 oz)
Preparing fi lling. Shell and de-vein prawns. Wash and drain well before processing into a paste in a blender.
Mix in squid paste. Add potato starch and mix until sticky.
Add seasoning ingredients and mix well.
Divide filling into 50 balls. Cook in boiling water until they float. Set aside to cool.
Place a ball of fi lling at the centre of a sheet of spring roll wrapper. Roll it up like a cylinder, with the filling in the middle. Seal the opening with fl our mixture. Bunch both ends to resemble a wrapped candy. Secure each bunched end with a strip of seaweed, sealing the opening with flour mixture.
Heat oil in a wok. Deep-fry pomegranate prawns until golden brown.
Serve immediately with mayonnaise.
Food: Pomegranate-shaped prawns