If there ever was a staple accompaniment on the Indian table, it is raita. Various vegetables, sometimes cooked,sometimes raw, are used in making raitas. Here, I have added chives for a flavor that’s slightly different than the runof-the-mill raita. Enjoy this with Spinach and Thyme Roti Flatbreads.
– 1 large potato or 2 medium potatoes (½ lb/225 g), scrubbed clean with a brush
– 2½ cups (610 g) plain yogurt,whisked until smooth
– Salt, to taste 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
– 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, toasted and ground
– ½ cup (16 g) minced chives, ½ red bell pepper, deseeded and, nely chopped
Peel the potato before or after cooking. Place the potato in a pan, cover with lightly salted water, and boil until tender, about 25–30 minutes.
Drain. (Alternatively, you can fork-perforate and microwave the potato for 4–8 minutes.)
When cool enough to handle, cut the peeled potato into 1-in (2.5-cm) dice.
Place the yogurt in a serving bowl, mix in the potato, salt, and half of the ground cumin seed and peppercorns. Add the chives and red bell pepper. Garnish with the remaining ground spices, and serve.
Food: Potato raita with chives and cumin