Rice Noodle Salad/ Bun bo xao
This salad is a meal in itself.The combination of hot and cold ingredients and the contrast between
crunchy vegetables and soft noodles and meat make this a favorite dish throughout Vietnam, where
it is eaten primarily in the summer
– 1 7-oz. package rice noodles
– ½ medium head lettuce, shredded(about 2 c.)
– ½ cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
– 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
– 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
– ½ onion, peeled and thinly sliced
– 1 lb. pork loin or beef sirloin tip, thinly sliced
– 1 stem lemon grass, finely chopped, or 1 tbsp. dried lemon grass*
– 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
– ½ tsp. sugar
– ¼ tsp. pepper
– 2 tbsp. fish sauce
– ½ c. chopped roasted peanuts
Cook and drain noodles (see recipe on page 32). When the noodles are cool, use a sharp knife or scissors to cut noodles into shorter lengths.
Divide rice noodles among 4 small bowls. Divide lettuce, cucumber, and carrot and add to each bowl. Set
In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat for 1 minute. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender.
Add meat and stir. Add lemon grass, garlic, sugar, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes, or until meat is thoroughly cooked.
Add fish sauce and stir well. Divide cooked meat mixture among the four bowls and sprinkle 2 tbsp. peanuts over each.
Serve with fish sauce
Before using dried lemon grass, place it in a dish of hot water and allow it to soak for 30 minutes to an hour. Drain well and chop finely.
Food: Rice Noodle Salad