You’ll love this as a change from the classic pear and blue cheese salad. Dip and spread the cheese, as you would pâté, and linger over it with a glass of good wine.
– Takes 25 minutes • Serves 2 (easily doubled).
– 2 just ripe pears, cored and cut into 8 pieces.
– 1 tsp mild olive oil.
– ¼ tsp peppercorns, crushed (we used a mix of colours).
– 85g/3oz Roquefort.
– 5 tbsp double or whipping cream.
– 2 handfuls of baby salad leaves.
– slices from sourdough loaf, halved and toasted just before serving.
– FOR THE DRESSING.
– 1 tsp walnut oil.
– 2 tsp mild olive oil.
– 1½ tsp wine vinegar (red or white).
– ½ tsp clear honey.
Step 1:Heat a griddle pan until very hot, brush or toss the pears with a little oil, sprinkle with the crushed peppercorns, then griddle for 1–2 minutes on each side until nicely striped.
Step 2:Put the Roquefort into a mixing bowl, break it up a little with a wooden spoon, then beat until almost smooth. Very softly whip the cream in a small bowl, then fold into the cheese and spoon into two small ramekins or pots.
Step 3:Whisk the dressing ingredients together with some seasoning, turn the salad leaves in the dressing a few times to coat, then serve with the toasted sourdough, griddled pears and the cheese.