A classic syllabub, made special here with the addition of rosé wine and zesty lime, really complements a bowl of sweetened fresh strawberries.
Takes 20 minutes • Serves 6
– 700g/1lb 9oz fresh strawberries, halved if large.
– 3 tbsp golden caster sugar.
– ½ bottle/375ml rosé wine.
FOR THE ROSÉ SYLLABUB
– 125ml/4fl oz rosé wine, well chilled.
– 50g/2oz golden caster sugar.
– finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime, plus extra zest to decorate.
– 284ml pot double cream.
Step 1:Put the strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle over the sugar; let them sit for 10 minutes, stir, then pour over the wine and leave for 10 minutes more.
Step 2:Meanwhile, make the syllabub. Put the wine, sugar, lime zest and juice in a jug. Half-whip the cream, then gradually pour in the chilled-wine mix, continuing to beat as you go, until you have a softly whipped creamy mixture.
Step 3:Serve the strawberries and their boozy juice in bowls topped with a spoonful of syllabub, and scatter over a little lime zest.