Rosemary lemon rice
Lemon rice is a very popular everyday dish in southern India. Rosemary, however, isn’t a very popular ingredient in India, and is largely unavailable. I have combined these two flavors as they marry fantastically with one another. Serve it with a portion of Cardamom Chicken and Green Cabbage with Lentils.
– 1½ cups (300 g) uncooked long-grain white rice
– 2 sprigs fresh rosemary; 2 teaspoons lemon zest
– 3 cups (750 ml) water; ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
– Salt, to taste; 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons oil; 1½ teaspoons black mustard seeds
– 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
– 2 (1-in/2.5-cm) cinnamon sticks; 2 whole cloves.
Put the rice, rosemary, lemon zest, water, turmeric and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender, 12 to15 minutes. Mix in the lemon juice, cover, and keep warm.
Heat the oil in a small non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds, red chili akes, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add it to the rice, mix in and serve hot.
Food: Rosemary Lemon Rice