– shao mai
A classic dim sum snack, siew mai, or pork dumplings, are generously packed with meat, prawns and mushrooms. Best enjoyed piping hot and straight from the steamer basket.
Makes about 40 pieces
– Siew mai skin about 40 pieces
– Prawn roe (ebiko) for garnishing
– Minced pork 300 g (101/2 oz)
– Prawn (shrimp) 200 g (7 oz)
– Chinese mushrooms 50 g (12/3 oz)
– Minced pork fat 50 g (12/3 oz)
– Chicken powder 6 g (1/5 oz)
– Salt 6 g (1/5 oz)
– Sugar 15 g (1/2 oz)
– Potato starch 15 g (1/2 oz)
– Cooking oil 10 g (1/3 oz)
– Ground white pepper a dash
– Sesame oil a dash
Mix all ingredients for fi lling. Add all seasoning ingredients and mix well. Cover with cling fi lm and leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
Scoop filling onto siew mai skin, leaving a 0.5-cm (1/4-in) margin all around.
Form a circle with your thumb and forefinger. Place the siew mai skin with fi lling on top of the circle and gently push downwards until the skin wraps around the fi lling in a cylindrical shape. Gently flatten the top to compact the fi lling. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
Grease the base of the steamer or line the bottom with steamer paper. Place siew mai onto the steamer and steam for 7 minutes over high heat.
Garnish with prawn roe and serve immediately.
Food: Siew mai