Silverbeet soup with rice, lemon and smoked trout
– 150 gm long-grain rice.
– 11/2 tbsp olive oil.
– 1 onion, finely chopped.
– 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
– 1 bunch silverbeet, leaves torn, 4 stalks thinly sliced (reserve remaining stalks for another use).
– 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock.
– 2 tbsp coarsely chopped dill.
– Juice of ½-1 lemon, or to taste.
– Smoked trout, flaked, to serve.
Step 1:Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water over high heat until tender (12-15 minutes), then drain.
Step 2:Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion, garlic and silverbeet stalks and sauté until stalks are tender (10-14 minutes). Add stock, silverbeet leaves and 500ml water, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until silverbeet is tender (4-5 minutes). Stir in rice, dill and lemon juice, season to taste and servetopped with flaked smoked trout