Soy-Sesame Tofu/To-fu Jo Rim
The mild, cream-colored bean curd called tofu takes readily to the typical Korean flavorings: garlic, green onions, sesame seeds, and soy sauce.
– 1 lb. firm tofu; 1/8 tsp. salt
– 4 tbsp. soy sauce; 1½ tsp. sugar
– ½ tsp. sesame oil; 2 tsp. toasted sesame
– Dash of black pepper; 3 green onions, sliced
– 1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
– 1 tbsp. water; 2 to 3 tsp. vegetable oil.
Slice the tofu into ½-inch slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Let salted tofu stand a few minutes. Using a paper towel, pat the tofu dry.
Mix the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds, pepper, green onions, garlic, and water in a 1-cup measuring cup. Stir this sauce until sugar dissolves.
Swirl the oil in a large skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Fry the tofu slices until golden brown, turning once.
One by one, dip the fried tofu slices in the sauce and return to the skillet, making layers. Pour the rest of the sauce over tofu.
Cook tofu and sauce over medium heat about 5 minutes, or until tofu soaks up sauce. Serve with rice, vegetables, and salad.
Food: Soy-Sesame Tofu/To-fu Jo Rim