Steamed fish head with fermented black beans
Fish head is typical food on a Chinese dining table. The myriad of spices and seasoning
ingredients removes any trace of fi shiness, and makes this a satisfying dish
– Fish head 1, about 600 g (1 lb 52/5 oz)
– Fermented black beans 1 heaped Tbsp
– Potato starch 10 g (1/3 oz)
– Shredded ginger 10 g (1/3 oz)
– Shredded spring onion (scallion) forgarnishing
– Shredded red chilli for garnishing
– Chu hou sauce 20 g (2/3 oz)
– Guilin chilli sauce 20 g (2/3 oz)
– Oyster sauce 11/2 Tbsp
– Seafood (hoisin) sauce 11/2 Tbsp
– Chicken powder 7 g (1/5 oz)
– Salt 7 g (1/5 oz)
– Sugar 16 g (1/2 oz)
– Ginger juice a dash
– Ground black pepper a dash
– Ground white pepper a dash
– Sesame oil a dash
– Cooking oil a dash
Cut fi sh head into bite-size pieces. Rinse and drain.
Blanch fermented black beans in boiling water. Drain and pan-fry until fragrant. Set aside.
Coat fi sh head pieces evenly with potato starch.
Add all seasoning ingredients to fish head pieces and mix evenly.
Steam for 15 minutes.
Garnish with spring onion and red chilli before serving.
Food: Steamed fish head with fermented black beans