Vietnamese sugarcane prawns
Some people enjoy chewing on the sugarcane sticks after they fi nish eating the seafood filling, as the sweet juice from the sugarcane is simply hard to resist!
Makes about 20–25 pieces
– Sugarcane 2 stalks, each about 15 cm (6 in) long
– Breadcrumbs 300 g (101/2 oz)
– Cooking oil for deep-frying
– Prawns (shrimp) 300 g (101/2 oz)
– Squid paste 150 g (51/3 oz)
– Salt 2 g ( 1/15 oz)
– Chicken powder 2 g (1/15 oz)
– Sugar 4 g (1/7 oz)
– Potato starch 5 g (1/6 oz)
– Ground white pepper a dash
– Sesame oil a dash
Trim off the tough outer stem of the sugarcane stalks.
Cut each stalk into 1-cm (1/2-in) strips.
Prepare fi lling. Shell and de-vein prawns. Wash and drain well before processing into a paste in a blender. Mix in squid paste and seasoning ingredients.
Dampen hands and gather fi lling to wrap around each sugarcane strip.Coat evenly with breadcrumbs. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
Heat oil in a wok and deep-fry until golden brown.
Serve immediately with sweet chilli sauce.
Food: Vietnamese sugarcane prawns